Saturday 16 February 2013

A happy pinta

We have our milk delivered. On four mornings a week two pints of milk and on Fridays some eggs too are left outside 88 under the hedge. They are left by Graham the milkman at some god-awful time in the morning and placed into a little wooden box, subdivided into six that my dad made me five years ago. One of the six compartments is slightly too tight for a milk bottle - it must annoy Graham when he has to gently nudge the empty bottle out of that section on a frosty dark morning.

I open the door and bring in the two pints. No tetra packs or plastic bottles for us. I duly pop my empties back out for Graham to collect. There's a cycle, a rhythm to the doorstep delivery.  And on Thursdays at 3.25pm practically on the dot Graham collects his money and we have a little chat and put the world to rights.

I have a history with milk. My dad was a dairy farmer and at one point a milkman. He would milk the cows and then go out and deliver the green top unpasteurised milk. I have two milk bottles as an heirloom to prove it. He stopped in the seventies actually delivering milk but I can still remember him bringing me an aero chocolate bar, a Jack and Jill comic and my mum a Turkish Delight after he'd finished deliveries on a Saturday morning. I drank milk morning, noon and night.

I can remember as a 5 year old helping my Dad heave two big silver churns full of the excess milk on the back of his green Morris pick-up van, drive up the lane and roll the two cans on a flat slab of stone on a wall by the main road, awaiting the big dairy to collect them. Then modern life hit and we had to install a bulk tank and the milk tanker would rumble up the drive for the extra milk and the magic was lost.

Support a British institution. Support your milkman....milkwoman...milkperson!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Virginia...Clarissa here! I am enjoying reading your blog and this has just made me all nostalgic; for England and childhood! We used to get green top milk delivered to my Mums house from the farm up the road. I also remember visiting my Grandma up in Scotland and we used to have to walk down the hill to the local farm and get the milk, which was scooped straight out of the tank into mini, metal milk churns to take it back in. Happy days!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi C, Glad you remember green top....indeed happy days.x

      Delete