Monday 18 March 2013

Tardis Technology

My local council has achieved the impossible. It will defy the laws of physics. Well not quite impossible as Dr Who has been doing it for a long time. It will fit something really quite big and wonderful into something really quite small and not fit for purpose.

My local council intends to close my local library, purpose-built in 1899, and transfer all the books and services down the road to the Town Hall. Strike that...not transfer but squeeze into the Town Hall. Strike that... not squeeze into but lose a few books on the way down there and then breathe in and push. Of course I may be wrong and the Town Hall is a TARDIS, bigger on the inside than the outside and all the books and all the staff and all the services that exist at the moment will be fitted in effortlessly.

My local library down the road from 88


It's the slippery slope. Actually it's gone beyond that now we are at the bottom of the slippery slope in a heap, bruised and can't quite get back up. Four libraries have closed in my local authority in the last year. Opening hours have been reduced. Staff have gone and not been replaced. Library budgets slashed. I'll take a wild guess and suggest staff morale has been buried in a deep deep hole and can't be found. Once libraries are shut or squeezed into a local authority TARDIS, they will not come back.

I happen to think libraries are a good thing. Lending books and being an information repository into which you can tap is a good idea, isn't it? My book at bedtime is a library book and my children's books at bedtime and for homework are library books. Supporting them in their education - surprise surprise - is quite important to me. If I can't find something out, I ring the Reference Library. If I want to find out about my local area or my ancestors I go to the Local Studies Library.  Not to mention the people who go into libraries for company and warmth but I suppose that's a risible reason for keeping libraries and the services they provide open.



I know my argument is an emotional one. Savings we are told have to be made but I fear that the quality of my life and that of my neighbours will be diminished. Let's hope it's not extinguished. Will keep you updated.

No comments:

Post a Comment