Tuesday 17 September 2013

Rapunzel Diaries 7: Hadlow Tower

I'm going to give you a new emotion: tower envy. I'm going to convert you to the thrills of tower climbing. I'm going to hone your tower seeking senses so that when you discover one you will want to climb it. I give you Hadlow Tower. This was our rather wonderful reason for visiting Kent.

Hadlow Tower


If I was Rapunzel (and I can't be coz I have very very short hair) I would want to be kept in a tower like this one. Three spiral staircases, a museum, a lift, a parapet from which to gaze down upon and around the world and bedrooms. Yes we slept in this tower. We had our very own grown-up sized Wendy tower to play in for the weekend.

It was my friend's 60th birthday and what a way to celebrate. We spent a whole morning exploring the spiral staircases and racing each other between the four floors. Then there was the main modern spiral staircase that took you up to our eyrie. Then of course we had to have photos taken from every vantage point and every combination of people in every vantage point.


It's in my top ten of best towers because it has steps to draw you up and build the anticipation; it's a truly beautiful spectacle and you get a lovely vista of Kent from the top...oh yes and did I mention you can sleep in it? Plus you get to climb to the top of your tower at night and view the stars above and the lights of the town and countryside below. Plus plus you get to turn all the lights on in the tower and run outside to see how magical a tower looks at night with all its lights on!


Over 4 million pounds has been spent on renovating this marvel. It was built in 1838, probably as a way to show off by its owner, and gradually fell into decay in the 20th century. Some very dedicated people campaigned to renovate it and over the last few years it's happened. You can stay in it and you can visit it on certain days during the summer. There is a little museum about its history, its renovation and other folly towers. Never had a museum for our private use before that's for sure. You should go.

1 comment:

  1. Nice tower......must put on list to see ADS..... ;-)

    ReplyDelete