Tuesday 14 January 2014

Are you thick or what?

I was reminded today of an expression that I hadn't used for a long time. One of those expressions that turns the normal meaning of a word upside down and encapsulates perfectly a feeling or concept. One that is full of subtleties. One where the meaning has just seeped into you over the years.

We were talking about two friends who are 'very thick'. And no...we didn't mean that they are a little dim or unintelligent. We meant that they are very good and close friends. Mates who are almost inseparable, have good times together, stick up for one another. It's often difficult for other friends to penetrate that 'thickness'.

I could go on but that's defeating the meaning of the word. When my friend said 'they are very thick', I knew what she meant and no more was said.

No comments:

Post a Comment