Tuesday 24 June 2014

2014 vintage

Just set down this year's elderflower fizz. David and I had the production line going. I scalded the bottles, strained the soaked elderflower stew and he funnelled the soon-to-be-fizz into the bottles, pushed a cork in and then screwed on a wire. This year I have treated David to a £4.50 wire tool which twists the wire round without the use of sore fingers and secures that cork down, resisting the build-up of elderflower pressure.

I am a bit worried this year though. We made last year's vintage amidst the chaos and dust of the extension build and I have misplaced my recipe which has served me well for 4 years. Can't find it any where. Looking on the internet there are 100s of recipes, all slightly different but none that strike a chord. I tried one recipe last week and it started to go mouldy before we had chance to bottle! And some recipes, shame on them, suggest adding a little dried yeast when the whole miracle and wonder of drinking the elderflower bubbles is that the fizz is there naturally from the yeasts in the flowers. Anyway I plumped for another recipe and hope it serves well. I'll know and you'll know in about 2 weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment